"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What Digby Said

Read this.

Also read this post by Amanda Marcotte -- it's the one that Digby quotes.

I'm pretty much in the same boat that Marcotte's in.  I'm so horrified by the spill and its consequences that I can't think of anything to say.  And the realization that it's the result of business as usual makes it even worse.

As a card-carrying Pagan (just joking -- we're not nearly that well organized), I'm even more devastated.  We understand stewardship in a way that Christians don't seem to.  I should probably change that to "Christianists" -- I think any real Christians must realize that, by the tenets of their own faith, the world is under our care.  And I think that's absolutely the right word -- "care".  I recall the officer of whatever association of evangelical Christians is it -- and there's got to be a reason I can't remember his name or the name of the organization -- who called for a new emphasis on the environment and helping the poor and less emphasis on the so-called "social issues," and the immediate calls for his dismissal from the leaders of the Christianist movement.  That told me a lot about these people and their relation to Christianity. 

It goes back to what I've been saying for a while -- the teabaggers, the Christianists, the "drill, baby, drill" crowd, the Wall Street moguls, and yes, the Taliban and, I think, anyone who insists that their way is the only way because it's all about them, are small, frightened people who have never grown up enough to realize that the universe is a place of wonder and beauty and that we share it with every other living thing.  And without those other living things, if we wipe them out, if we see them merely as something put there for our use and not as a part of the intricate web that we are pleased to call "Creation," then we really have lost our souls.

Maybe that explains the popularity of zombies.

No comments: