"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, June 04, 2010

Grace and Humor

Two qualities that are in increasingly short supply. And rest assured, I'm finding it on the left as much as on the right. Two items I ran across recently really bring it home.

Found this at C&L:

After a member station launched an incredibly insensitive radio promotion designed to tweak Mayor Michael Coleman of Columbus, Ohio for joining the national boycott of Arizona over its new anti-immigrant law, Clear Channel found itself in the center of a national controversy and the target of the ire of Latino communities across America.

Here's a transcript of the promo:

It all started when Coleman made the decision to ban city employees from visiting Arizona on official business. He joins other cities and counties in making his decision to protest Arizona’s new law, SB 1070, which essentially sanctions racial profiling.

WTVN-AM’s response? “WTVN would like to send you where Americans are proud and illegals are scared—sunny Phoenix, Arizona! You’ll spend a weekend chasing aliens and spending cash in the desert. Just make sure you have your green card!”

NCLR President and CEO Janet MurguĂ­a was not amused.


I wonder if she's amused by anything. I read the text as a dig at Arizona -- there's a fairly high snark level there.

This is, if anything, even more egregious. It's about that McDonald's commercial from France that I linked to the other day. Here it is again:



The comment:

My initial reaction was: "Huh, doesn't really seem very 'come as you are' what with the dad situation. WTF?". Rather seems like a fail on the whole theme there, McDonald's (which is why I put it in the Assvertising series). I thought it might be really positive but it just...wasn't.

I've left a couple of comments in the thread to the effect that the ad comes up just the opposite of the way a lot of commenters are interpreting it -- there are a couple railing about "reinforcing heteronormativity," which I take as a total misread. Some of them left me speechless.

There may be more on this later -- right now, the clock is demanding that I get up and move.

No comments: