"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On Palin, Mosques, and Religious Freedom

From Joe Conason, a scathing take-down of Sarah Palin and her infamous tweet about the proposed cultural center with mosque planned for a site a couple blocks from Ground Zero:

"Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn't it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate."

I'd like to take this opportunity to "refudiate" the semi-literate goddess of the wingnut right. I'd say she's beneath contempt, but that's being way too kind. And what the hell is she doing talking about "ours throughout the heartland"? I'm in the heartland. She's from freakin' Polarbearville.

Happily, I don't have to dwell on how fundamentally wrong and un-American her whole campaign is -- Conason did a good job of it. And New Yorkers aren't listening. They understand what living in America is really about.

Apparently, she's making capital on the uproar, tweeting away with snappy rejoinders. Do you remember in high school those kids who thought they were so witty who kept trying to make smart remarks that just didn't do it? Mostly because they weren't very smart? (I suspect Twitter is just right for Palin's attention span -- about 140 characters.)

It really starts to look as though Palin tried to rub her last two brain cells together and broke one of them.

No comments: