"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, October 18, 2010

Must Read

Excellent post by Jane Hamsher on the Valerie Jarrett debacle and the HRC.

I might have a few quibbles, but in the main I think Hamsher has it right.

The telling factor to me is that Jarrett, and by extension the whole Obama administration, are so far removed from the GLBT community that it never occurred to her that to haul out a phrase that, let's face it, is the exclusive usage of the professional homophobes was going to be offensive. Is this possible?

I think it goes far beyond listening only to HRC (who certainly have no apparent value to the community at this point). It's just being totally fucking clueless about a major constituency. And it's part of a pattern, starting with Donnie McClurkin and going right down the line. (Has anyone noticed that the major "achievement" of the Obama administration on gay civil rights was a gay-inclusive hate crimes bill -- which was introduced under Bush and is something that Obama had nothing to do with?)

If the best you can do for the GLBTs is to install someone so completely ignorant as the ultimate liaison, it becomes patently obvious that all those rude extremists are right.

Here's some further commentary from Pam Spaulding, one of those rude extremists.

No comments: