"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sea Change

Happened across this video this morning, and one thing struck me about it. It's with Joel Burns and his husband, about the circumstances and reactions to his speech in the Fort Worth City Council about growing up gay and being bullied. Watch.



Think about this: ten years ago, this report would not have happened. Maybe even five years ago. And note O'Donnell's tone: respectful, open, sympathetic -- just another human interest story.

Maybe those news outlets (such as Time and WaPo) that feel an uncontrollable urge to call up James Dobson or Tony Perkins whenever there's a bit of gay news should take a hint.

No comments: