"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Duck and Run

Well, it seems that marriage is dead in Maryland, at least for the time being:

The Maryland House of Delegates has voted to effectively kill for this year a bill that would have allowed same-sex marriage in Maryland.

The House approved on voice vote a motion to send the bill back to the Judiciary Committee, an acknowledgment by supporters that it did not have sufficient votes to pass on the floor.


Strategically, that's probably the best move, given the erosion of support in the House of Delegates, especially since a lot of them didn't want to be on record. I have to say, those churches certainly know how to twist arms. And it's better than losing a vote. My concern is that the delay gives NOM and its secret backers time to spread their money around.

OK -- next year in Maryland. Eyes are now on Rhode Island. (We should make it a contest.)

No comments: