"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

It's Called "Desperation"

Tony Perkins of the so-called Family Research Council has joined the conspiracy theorists.

"Less than three hours after Attorney General Holder's announcement, litigants seeking to strike down California's traditional marriage definition enacted by Proposition 8 filed a 'Motion to Vacate Stay' in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. On pages 7 of 23 and 10 of 23 the Motion cited to and quoted from the Attorney General Letter.

"As the president of the Family Research Council (FRC), an organization that has filed amicus briefs defending both Proposition 8 and DoMA, I am troubled by the lightning-fast integration of concepts and actual language from the Attorney General Letter into the Motion to Vacate Stay. Let me repeat: the Motion was filed within two-and-one-half hours of Attorney General's press conference. Consequently, I am deeply concerned that officials at the Department of Justice were collaborating with the litigants in the Proposition 8 case. Even the appearance of collusion between the Department of Justice and litigants is highly damaging to the rule of law in America."


Well, the fact is that the the Olson/Boies team has proven itself to be a superlative group of attorneys, and I know from my own experiences in working under the gun that it's not that hard to plug in a late-breaking reference and still meet a deadline. But a conspiracy sells much better with the base, I guess. Got to keep the fires of paranoia burning.

Perkins is really getting desperate. I suppose next he'll be demanding a copy of Judge Vaughan Walker's birth certificate.

(Jeremy Hooper has the full text of Perkin's FOIA request at the link.)

No comments: