"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Today's Must Read

This post by Gaius Publius at AmericaBlog, commenting on this article by Seymour Hersh.

Chris in Paris wrote earlier about the opening of the "Kill Team" trials, the court marshalls of the soldiers who shot up a bunch of Afghan civilians and then took pictures of them, Abu Ghraib–style. (Calling this "Abu Ghraib 2" would not be an overstatement, though "My Lai 2" would also fit.)

As Chris noted, the soldiers knew they were killing innocents:

Asked by the judge what his intent was, [Corporal Jeremy] Morlock replied, "The plan was to kill people."

"Did everybody know, `We're killing people who are completely innocent'?" the judge asked.

"Generally, yes, sir, everyone knew," Morlock replied.

Y'know, I really wonder why the self-appointed guardians of America's morals have been so notably silent on things like this. You would think that events like the casual murder of unarmed civilians by American troops would lead to outrage -- where are the Catholic bishops, the Mormon elders, the Southern Baptist Convention?

Oh, wait -- it's not about sex.

3 comments:

Piet said...

But it could be about sex. What sort of uniforms do those court marshalls wear?

And, "Morlock"? Does that sound like a name from a quest trilogy of some sort, by any chance?

Hunter said...

Gods, I hope it's not about sex -- that would be even sicker.

H.G. Wells, The Time Machine. I guess that makes us the Eloi.

Piet said...

I thought I recognized it. But it's been years since I read any Wells. Thanks.