"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, March 21, 2011

While listening

to Linkin Park's "Little Things Give You Away" (off their Minutes to Midnight CD), I thought back to the treatment of New Orleans after Katrina. (That's what the song's about, not the politics, but the loss.) New Orleans got shit from the feds because it was a Democratic stronghold -- mayor, governor, and senators -- full of black people. Compare to Mississippi, which suffered nowhere near the damage but had a good ol' boy Republican Bush backer in the governor's mansion.

I'm afraid the only way we could have elected someone as small and petty as George W. Bush to the White House -- twice -- is to have become that small and petty ourselves. Or at least, enough of us.

As an example, see this post -- and the comments left at the original. "Small and petty" hardly seems adequate.

No comments: