"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Yeah, I Know (Updated)

In my own defense, I've been really busy now that I'm writing decently again. (Case in point, a new post at The Sleeping Hedgehog, with several new reviews by yours truly.)

And the news hasn't changed so much: populist uprisings in the Middle East and Midwest, Scott Walker is getting more and more desperate (someone called him "Muammar Walker"), and I really, really hope the Republicans in Congress step in to defend DOMA. I want them to make fools of themselves on civil rights in a major way, very publicly, and there's no way they're not going to. Maybe they'll get Maggie Gallagher and Tony Perkins to give expert testimony. That would make my year.

(Update: This just seems so appropriate in that context:

Delegate Neil Parrott, R-Washington, who criticized the bill for changing the definition of marriage, briefly made what he described as a tongue-in-cheek amendment to legalize incest.

"I don’t see any problem with incest in marriage if we are going to go ahead and allow something that hasn’t been allowed ever in all of human history by allowing one man to marry another man or a woman to marry a woman," Parrott said, before withdrawing the amendment. "I think this is the same type of thing that we’re talking about."


Do you suppose Del. Parrott is only repeating what he's been taught?

And now I have to try to find the top of my desk. As a stop-gap, here's a picture:


3 comments:

Piet said...

Thanks for pointing us to the Hedgehog, where I found the review of a Philip Glass work I'd never heard of (sounds intriguing).

And boos to the Maryland Delegates who objected to the process on the marriage equality bill. That bill's been under consideration one way or another for a year -- they certainly have not been short-changed when it comes to deliberative agenda, and claiming they have been is just weasel words.

Hunter said...

Re: Glass -- which one?

And as for the Maryland story -- what about Sam Arora, who campaigned on marriage equality and is now busily wiping every reference to it in his online presence? Didn't he ever hear of Google cache? I mean, he was a co-sponsor.

I suspect he's finished as a Democrat.

My guess -- their churches are going after them.

Piet said...

The Witches of Venice is the Philip Glass I hadn't heard of. Sam Arora is a jackass, and I do hope he's finished as a Democrat. Of course, that leads us to the whole DINO problem that seems to be overtaking Democratic political positions these days, but I won't digress on that. The point we have to keep making is that marriage has ALWAYS been a civil contract entered into sometimes with the blessing of the church but not requiring the church for validation. The fundamentalists and many other misguided or uninformed people don't seem to understand that or would like to misrepresent it to strengthen their own position.