"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I < 3 Anthony Weiner

I wonder how many millions the Koch brothers are going to spend trying to get rid of him.



I'm really sort of amazed (well, not really all that amazed) at the pearl-clutching on the right about Obama slamming the Ryan Roadmap to the Banana Republic. The whole proposal sucks, so why should he make nice about it? And then some of the most vicious Democrat-baiters in Congress start complaining about partisanship.

I like this part especially:

Still, Republicans said, did Obama have to attack the men to their faces? “Reagan had the decency to insult his enemies when he was out of town,” grumbled one GOP aide.



My mama always said "If you're going to criticize someone, do it to their face and not behind their back." We see where the Republicans are coming down on the issue.

I think Mika Brzezinski had it exactly right: Obama in fact was being unusually respectful in inviting Ryan and his cohorts to hear directly what he had to say, because he doesn't believe in doing things the Republican way: Slamming people not to their faces but waiting till they're not around and can't answer.

It's just such a radical concept for Republicans that they become utterly flabbergasted when confronted with it.


It really would be nice to have a free press in this country, so more people could know what's actually going on.

Update: Here's Jonathan Chait's take. Read the comments. Here's my favorite, which puts the whole thing in perspective:

Harry Truman - “I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.”

Adlai Stevenson - "We should make a deal with Republicans - if they'll stop lying about our policies, we'll stop telling the truth about theirs."

No comments: