"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Further Thought

on Randian "philosophy." I made a point a couple of days ago that I think needs some amending.

Rand's "philosophy," if you want to dignify it by that, is pretty much upside down. Ask yourself why we have societies to begin with. Why is sociality an adaptive trait? I suspect it's not because it allows the strong to keep everything for themselves. In fact, every society I can think of that ever went that route collapsed pretty quickly.

OK -- my bad. I wasn't considering the evidence and just bought into the Randian vocabulary. It's not that these supermen are "strong" -- they're dishonest. Most people are honest, which puts the rest of us at a disadvantage when dealing with them. Like their goddess, they're sociopaths, pretty much. In any sane system, people like Rand Paul would be locked up, not elected to the Senate.

No comments: