"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, May 05, 2011

You Call This Living?

Melissa McEwen has a strong post at Shakesville that starts this way:

I am listening to the House debate on HR3, and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Eprehensible) just said, "We are a culture that values life."

NO. YOU. FUCKING. DON'T.


Here's Amanda Marcotte with a slightly more level discussion, and a further commentary on the real purposes of the bill. She also points out some of the ramifications (although some of them are a bit of a stretch, I think -- but with the Republicans in control of Washington, you never can tell.)

HR 3, in case you haven't been following, is the latest Republican attempt to do away with a woman's right to choose whether or not to carry a pregnancy to term. It's billed as the "No Taxpayer Money for Abortion" bill. Well, I'm a taxpayer, and I have no problem with my tax money being used to support the decision of those women who decide on abortion. (The bill, as might be expected, passed overwhelmingly in the House, because the Republicans have an overwhelming majority in the House.)

But McEwen only hits part of the problem -- although it's a big part.

This is also the party that is mainstreaming the destruction of the middle class, that wants to yank insurance coverage from 45 million people by repealing the Affordable Care Act (and how many deaths will result from that?), that wants to bomb anyone anywhere who doesn't do exactly what we tell them, that wants to revoke the right of some citizens to form secure families, and that otherwise doesn't give a shit about peoples lives.

So on the face of it, I'd say Cantor's a liar.

Why am I not surprised?

No comments: