"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Backlash from the Left

I've seen a few articles, op-eds, and comment threads about the NY marriage victory that I can only typify as "backlash from the left." The general tenor is that marriage equality is a bad thing because it 1) makes us just like straight people (hey, I didn't say it!), and 2) it bestows special privileges on those who are willing to undertake legal commitments to each other, leaving out all the poor hippie children who aren't. (Sorry, but that's about the best way I can think of to describe that particular stance.) I may come back and address this in more depth later, but for right now, there's an interesting discussion going on over at Bilerico that I think illustrates the different sides quite nicely.

There are a couple of other pieces I've seen lately that bear on this, and as soon as I've dug up the links (and had time to think a little bit), I'll be able to add more.

No comments: