"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, July 24, 2011

I would be remiss (Updated)

if I didn't note that today is the first day that marriage equality has become the law in New York. Here's a sweet story about a photo that has become emblematic of the struggle for marriage equality:

The image is of my friend Joey and his partner Ariel after they wed in San Francisco in 2008.

Three years later, the image of Joey and Ariel remains and serves as a visual tool to normalize same-sex marriage. In fact, over Gay Pride weekend in New York City, the Levis store in Chelsea offered their interpretation of the photo for their window display after the gay marriage bill passed. . . .

I asked Joey how he felt about the fact that he and Ariel have become famous without intending to.

"My dream is that one day our kids will come home from school and show us the picture in their textbooks."



There are reports all over the gay blogosphere, and The New York Times already has a story up, which includes a really stupid quote from Larry Kramer.

And David Badash has a short piece on the first marriage in New York, with video.

Update>:

Jeremy Hooper has a run-down on the protests -- all the usual losers, with Maggie Gallagher and the Phelps clan sharing a block -- but this is the photo of the day:


It's a straight couple who brought their twin daughters to be flower girls for anyone who needed them. From Joe.My.God..

No comments: