"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Interesting Discussion (Updated)

over at Joe.My.God., but not for the reasons the participants might think. It's Joe's report on Dan Savage being glitter-bombed by an "activist" whose objections to Savage include everything but the kitchen sink:

A group of six activists, who named themselves The Homomilitia for the event, said they confronted Savage as he entered the theatre through a back-alley entrance. In an interview with Xtra after the confrontation, activist Fister Limp Wrist accused Savage of "ableist, racist, transphobic, fat-phobic, sero-phobic and rape-apologist attitudes and views."

What's interesting is that the comments thread was hijacked by trans advocates, probably because of Joe's comment that the "activists" didn't manage to include something about Savage's "gay white male cisgender privilege" in their screed. (Never mind that they are otherwise full of it.)

I left a couple of comments in the thread, which does contain some reasonable discussion, but one thing I didn't address, and I guess it's kind of weighing on me: I consider being referred to as "cis-male" and "privileged" to be insulting. Those terms are meant to be belittling. They are used for no other reason than to set me apart and to designate me as "other," and I've had quite enough of that in my life, thank you. I have one question for those who consider being white and male as somehow conferring "privilege": a majority of the kids who have been bullied to death in the past couple of years have been white boys. How privileged do you think they felt?

Update: Similar discussion at AmericaBlog Gay. Just as lively, a little less ad hominem, and some good points made. It's interesting that no one is defending the glitter-bombers.

I should also note in this context this post from John Aravosis, since it's the campaign for marriage equality that is being characterized as "screwed up."

No comments: