"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rosen vs. Romney

I have to say, the Democrats sure know how to cave. Here's an excellent recap/commentary on the whole Hilary Rosen "Ann Romney never worked a day in her life" brouhaha, starting with what Rosen actually said:

“What you have,” she told Anderson Cooper on Wednesday night, “is Mitt Romney running around the country saying: ‘Well, you know, my wife tells me that what women really care about are economic issues. And when I listen to my wife, that’s what I’m hearing.’

“Guess what?” Rosen observed. “His wife has actually never worked a day in her life.”

Of course, Ann Romney shot back with the "I raised five boys, and that's hard work" mantra.

Please. I'm sure Ann Romney was able to spend quality time with her sons and be a nurturing, caring mother, while her staff took care of washing diapers and her husband clipped coupons -- when he wasn't throwing mothers who had to work outside the home out of jobs.

And almost before the first howls of faux outrage from the right had died down, President Obama, displaying that steel spine and steadfast courage for which he is known, came to Romney's defense.

“There is no tougher job than being a mom,” President Obama told a Cedar Rapids television station, mentioning his own wife and mother. He added, “I don’t have a lot of patience for commentary about the spouses of political candidates. My general view is those of us who are in the public life, we’re fair game. Our families are civilians.”

Did anyone mention to Obama that Mittens is the one who inserted his wife into the discussion? If Obama spent half the time laying into Republicans that he does trashing Democrats, the political landscape would be a lot different right now. (And that, boys and girls, is why I'm voting third party in the presidential election this year.)

And Rosen never should have apologized for her "poor phrasing." Her comment wasn't poorly phrased, but it was much worse, from the Republican view: it was true.

Read Hirschman's piece. It's a good recap of the "controversy" and a solid analysis of the reality of working mothers.

No comments: