"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, June 18, 2012

Idiot du Jour


Of course, with Rick Santorum, it's hard to know if he's stupid or just completely out of contact with reality. This sort of jumped out at me this morning. It's one thing to question the president's power to institute a sort of mini-Dream Act (although at least one conservative Republican thinks he's on firm ground), but here Santorum goes off the deep end (and you know he had to get DOMA into the conversation -- it's what he does):

"You need to hammer the president on this now habitual abuse of power, saying that he's not going to defend the Defense of Marriage Act [DOMA]," the former candidate explained. "You know, 'I'm not even going to go to the Supreme Court and stand up for the law that, you know, I'm charged as the chief executive to do.' So you're seeing a pattern where the president says, 'I'm going to pick and choose what laws I'm going to enforce, what laws I'm going to stand up and fight for in court.' That is not the job of the president."

"There's a difference between saying, 'I don't like the law, I wish the law were different, but I'm the president. My job is to faithfully execute.' And he has not faithfully executed," Santorum added.

The president is not required to defend a law in court. He's required to enforce it, which he has been doing, which is why there are so many lawsuits now. The fact that the law is unconstitutional -- at least in the eyes of three or four federal courts at this point -- puts some foundation under Obama's position on DOMA, but that doesn't bother Santorum at all.

Actually, reading over Santorum's comments again, I'm going to vote for "liar."

1 comment:

Hunter said...

Actually, I just noted another irony in Santorum's statement: to call a refusal to defend an unconstitutional law an "abuse of power" strikes me as very, very funny.