"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, January 25, 2013

Today's Must-Read


The uses of language have always fascinated me -- the ways in which we use words to shape concepts and discussions of ideas is a key element, I think, in understanding what we're really saying -- or hearing. David Sirota has a great piece at Salon on the way our political discourse has been corrupted by the way in which politicians, pundits, and the media describe agendas and policies.

Yes, indeed, I’m fixated on how this Orwellian scheme by the elite media, politicians, pundits and lobbyists constantly shifts the rhetorical boundaries so that political debates are narrowed to preference outcomes that serve monied interests. Why am I fixated? Because this scheme is as powerful a corrupting force in our politics as campaign contributions, yet unlike bundled checks and anonymous super PAC donations, this scheme goes almost completely unnoticed.

Via Tristero at Hullabaloo.

No comments: