"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, February 09, 2013

Which of These Is the President?


If you guessed the one on the left, you'd be right. However, that doesn't seem to make any difference to the Republicans:
Republican aides are calling out the White House for scheduling President Barack Obama's remarks on avoiding the sequester at the same time House Majority Leader Eric Cantor is delivering a major address Tuesday afternoon.

Cantor's address to the American Enterprise Institute at 1 p.m. has been on the books for weeks, and is billed by his aides as an agenda-setting speech — and one, that according to excerpts, will continue the party's shift away from a singular focus on fiscal iss[u]es.

It gets even more surreal:
"Why are they so worried about Americans hearing positive ideas on how to help working families," asked a Cantor aide. "We're flattered they're putting so much emphasis on Leader Cantor's remarks."

Let's see -- so far the Republicans' "positive" ideas on helping working families have included: cutting a million federal jobs; not extending unemployment benefits; tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations; raising taxes on the working poor and what's left of the middle class; cutting government services; nullifying the ACA (as much as they can get away with) by refusing to fund it; cutting the amount of the stimulus; and I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten.

Yeah, I think I'd rather listen to the president talking about how to avoid all that.

(I know -- this stories a couple of days old, but it just leaped out at me.)



No comments: