"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, July 12, 2013

Avalanche

I'm still recovering from the onslaught on my lungs, and maybe having some side effects from meds -- spacy as all hell lately, even more than usual. But I wanted to bring you an update on what seems to be the beginning of the end for NOM and its allies.

Everybody's getting sued.

In Illinois, Lambda Legal and the ACLU have filed a motion for summary judgment in Darby vs. Orr and Lazaro vs. Orr. They're not waiting for the legislature to get off its collective butt. And those cases are not being defended by the state.

They are also planning to sue Virginia and North Carolina and Pennsylvania, and once again, the attorney general, Kathleen Kane, will not defend the law.

I cannot ethically defend the constitutionality of Pennsylvania's (law banning same-sex marriage), where I believe it to be wholly unconstitutional," Kathleen Kane announced to reporters at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia on Thursday.

And under the heading of "Whistling Past the Graveyard," we have this from NOM's official spokesperson:


He's wrong, of course, but with NOM and its affiliates, you're never sure if it's ignorance or deliberate obfuscation. The fact is that Prop 8 is no longer the law in California -- it's been nullified by the Supreme Court, a motion for reconsideration has been turned down, the Ninth Circuit has lifted its stay, and marriages are taking place.

Something tells me this is just the beginning.

No comments: