"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, July 02, 2013

M.I.A.

I know -- one of the biggest news weeks in gay history, and I missed it. I was in the hospital, and am still recovering. There is so much to catch up on that I'll probably never manage it, although I may hit a story or two that points up something egregious.

In general, though, the reaction is about as expected: the Obama administration is moving very fast to bring regs into line with the Windsor decision -- the first green card for the non-US spouse of an American citizen has been approved, the Defense Department is doing everything possible to bring benefits in line with the new requirements, couples are getting married in post-Prop 8 California, and the heads of the professional gay-bashers are making very satisfying Splats! all over the place while they keep lying about everything.

I thought this was funny:

When asked his opinion on the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the Defense of Marriage Act, the Governor of Iowa declined to give a personal opinion, and instead just said that his state would “live with” the decision.

Republican Governor Terry Brandstad said on Monday, that individuals would have to make up their own mind on the issue, and declined to offer a personal opinion.

“I guess it depends upon your perspective and your point of view on those things,” Branstad said during a weekly news conference at the Iowa Capitol. “I guess people can make your their own judgement on that. We’re going to live with the law and make whatever adjustments are necessary.”

Same-sex marriage has been legal in Iowa for four years now (and there seems to be diminishing enthusiasm for changing that), the Windsor decision doesn't affect state law at all, so what's he going to do about it? I can't understand why anyone even asked him the question.

One thing that's notable -- the bigotry is out in full colors now, no holds barred. Man, are people ever going to be turned off. It's delicious.


No comments: