"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

They Just Don't Get It, Part ???

Among a wealth of recent stories about disgusting people saying disgusting things, this one, I think, illustrates something very revealing. San Antonio councilwoman Elisa Chan, on the reaction to her comments about gays being "disgusting."

"I know that many people find the comments made in the meeting offensive. But again, it was a confidential meeting said in the privacy of my office where none of us are supposed to worry about what we say."

If you're in politics, you should always worry about what you say.

She's hauled out the "out of context" defense, the "First Amendment" defense, the "personal beliefs" defense, but I guess they're not working very well.

And she, like so many, has no sense of irony. From the recorded remarks:

“This is my philosophy, guys,” she says. “Whatever you want to do in your bedroom is none of my business, but do not impose your view on other people, especially becoming policy. . . .

Do I really need to comment on that?

No comments: