"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Another Note on Obamacare

Aside from the fact that that name for the ACA is going to backfire on the GOP, big-time -- they'd hoped to tie him to a disaster (remember "Benghazi-gate"?), and it's starting to look like it's going to be immensely successful. One of the reasons shows up in this anecdote, from a reader at TPM:

Anyway, you may have seen in the past couple of days how some insurers are being forced to drop thousands of individual policies because they're not ACA-compliant. My current policy is among those, so I've looked for a new policy with my insurer (Anthem). And, thanks to the ACA, I can finally get a more traditional policy because the insurer has to offer ACA-compliant plans and can't exclude for preexisting conditions. As a result, I'm switching to a Silver level plan with a $2,000 deductible, free preventive care, reasonable co-pays ($30-$45) for doctors' visits pre-deductible and reasonable co-insurance (25%) post-deductible, all for a premium that's only $20 than what I was paying. Significantly better coverage, in other words, for about $240 more per year.

He's not alone -- I've been seeing comments like this at various places. And that, of course, is the whole point of the program.

Read the whole thing -- it's short, and very instructive, and sort of gives the lie to the Boehner/Cruz/Ryan mantra that the whole thing is an unmitigated disaster. As does this.



No comments: