"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, October 11, 2013

I Couldn't Have Said It Better Myself

Actually, I probably could have, but this way, I don't have to.
See, you live in what is, despite recent appearances, a modern civilized society with a functioning government. And what government does is that it takes your money and spends it on services for everyone in the society. Remember the You Are Dumb Official Retort To Glibertarians:

Taxation is not theft. It's the cover charge to get into civilization.

My dentist, of all people, started carrying on about taxes -- in the vein of "Don't we pay too much in taxes?", to which I replied "For which we get roads and bridges, stop lights, firefighters, schools and teachers, and a whole bunch of other things."

He dropped the subject.

No comments: