"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Science Saturday: Nuts!

Just ran across this article, which I found very reassuring:

According to the largest study of its kind, people who ate a daily handful of nuts were 20 percent less likely to die from any cause over a 30-year period than those who didn’t consume nuts, say scientists from the Harvard-affiliated Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and the Harvard School of Public Health.

Their report, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, contains further good news: The regular nut-eaters were found to be more slender than those who didn’t eat nuts, a finding that should alleviate fears that eating a lot of nuts will lead to overweight.

I find it reassuring because I eat at least a handful of cashews just about every day, mostly because I love cashews. With this news, I may broaden my repertoire -- I'm rather fond of almonds, too.

A note: This may become another regular feature, although I don't know if it will remain on Saturdays, although that seems like a good day: by the weekend, I'm really sick of all the posturing by the assholes in Washington and the media.

2 comments:

NPT said...

Most intriguing. Raw almonds and cashews are very good for you, filled with essential oils. The roasted ones are much less valuable.

Alas, I eat lots of nuts and seeds, and I certainly amn't slimmer than the average!

Hunter said...

Ah, but just imagine if you only ate nuts and seeds!