"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

I Honestly Feel Sorry For Him

But not for the reasons he thinks. Robert Oscar Lopez:

The LGBT lobby has warped my relationship with students, my relationship with gay friends, my relationship with the press, my relationship with bosses at the university, my relationship with readers, and saddest of all, my relationship with my own family.

I'd suggest that if your relationships with the people you know are warped, it's not the fault of some third party, especially one as abstract and formless as "the LGBT lobby," whatever that is.

This little screed points up something I've noticed more and more about the anti-gay right, and the "Christian" right in general: it's all about them. It's always about them, and only them. That strikes me as pretty immature, at best. I'm reminded of the story about the NOM intern who went to a marriage rally and was disheartened at the preponderance of pro-SSM demonstrators, and the meager showing by anti-marriage groups. She also took the opportunity to opine that same-sex marriage devalued her own (at that point, entirely hypothetical) marriage vows and her relationship with her god. I'm afraid the only response I could think of was "What ever led you to believe that someone else's marriage is about you?"

Same syndrome: "I'm a total loss as a human being, and it's someone else's fault." These people need some serious intervention.


No comments: