"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, December 06, 2013

It's a Trend

Luxemboug has elected its first openly gay prime minister, Xavier Bettel. Not only that, the deputy prime minister, Etienne Schneider, is also openly gay. While Iceland recently had an openly gay premier, Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir, and Belgium's current premier, Elio Di Rupo, is gay, it's the first time the top two slots in a government have been filled by gay men.

So, what's on his agenda?

“Gay weddings will be done soon.” Prime Minister Bettel promised. “At the moment in Luxembourg, we have to change the situation of marriage, religion and divorce laws. But I don’t think it’ll be in the next five years – it’ll be next year.”

(That's Bettel with his partner, Gauthier Destenay, in the picture.)

No comments: