"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, January 17, 2014

Remember Sally Kern?

The wingnut Oklahoma lawmaker (and I use the term loosely) who is noted for vociferous stupidity? As might be expected in the wake of a decision by a federal judge finding Oklahoma's same-sex marriage ban unconstitutional, she's back, and in rare form. Just a sample:

“Homosexuality is not a civil right. It’s a human wrong!” she told KOTV.

“Homosexuals are saying this is who we are, this is how we’re born,” Kern added. “You tell a lie long enough, people start to believe it.”

Well, she oughta know.

I'm perennially amazed at people who are so completely impervious to reality. As I pointed out in a comment on another article, I've finally figured out that, for those who believe being gay is a choice, it's not a matter of sexual orientation in general being a choice -- to them, being straight is the default position: that's how everyone is born. Anything else is a choice.

That way of thinking not only defies reality, it defies common sense -- to use a term beloved of the right.

I'm just surprised no one they interviewed objected to having same-sex marriage shoved down their throats -- to use another phrase beloved of the right.



3 comments:

Glenn Ingersoll said...

Is there any point to arguing with someone who CANNOT change her mind, who is literally unable to use evidence to interrogate received beliefs?

It seems to me this is the core of racism/homophobia/sexism - not prejudice, but invincible prejudice.

Hunter said...

You don't argue with them in the hope of changing their mind -- you do it in the hope of reaching at least some of their audience who haven't completely given up their cognitive functions.

Glenn Ingersoll said...

We do it for the bystanders ...