"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, June 09, 2014

She Gets It (With Footnote)

This jumped out at me this morning, from U.S. District Court Judge Barbara Crabb's opinion striking down Wisconsin's marriage ban, in response to the state's argument that marriage is by definition about procreation (yeah, that one again):

Civil marriage is a legal construct, not a biological rule of nature, so it can be and has been changed over the years; there is nothing "impossible" about defining marriage to include same-sex couples, as has been demonstrated by the decisions of a number of countries and states to do just that.

Just as I've been saying all along: marriage is an entirely human concept. (Go ahead -- try to find "marriage" among other vertebrate species.)

The opinion is a good one -- solid and tight. Worth a read.

(Via Towleroad.)

A footnote, via Joe.My.God.



It's interesting, thinking back over these decisions, how many county clerks in various states have opened their offices for extra hours and on weekends to be able to issue marriage licenses immediately.

That says something.






No comments: