"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Culture Break: AB EX NY: The Painting Techniques of Mark Rothko: No. 16 (Red, Brown, and Black)

A relatively brief video on how Rothko did what he did. I have to confess that of the NY Absract Expressionists of the 1950s, Rothko is far and away the one who really gets to me. Oh, and that comment early on in the video about "floating in space" -- I've seen it: In a friend's apartment, a new Rothko, and a great one, not hanging on the wall but floating in front of it. It was pretty amazing.


And if you've got an hour or so, here's a documentary on Rothko.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lay off my Rothko. You are undeserving. -MJ