"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Culture Break: Ludwig van Beethoven, String Quartet No. 15, Op. 132

I remember the first time I heard Beethoven's "Heiliger Dankgesang," from the String Quartet in A minor, Op. 132. It was many, many years ago, at a concert by the Fine Arts Quartet in Chicago, at the old Goodman Theatre. My boyfriend and I had season tickets, perfect seats. He looked over to say something to me and said later, "You were just sitting there quietly with tears streaming down your face." It's some of the most profoundly affecting music I've ever heard.

Here's the first part of it, by the Stradivari Quartet, at a live performance in 2011:


And here's the second:


No comments: