"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

The Futility of Commenting

Against my better judgment, I've gotten involved in a couple of comment threads on the poor, persecuted "Christian" farmers in upstate New York who host weddings on their farm -- for some people. As long as those people are acceptable to cafeteria "Christians." There are several commenters on the YouTube thread -- yes, of course they made a video, with all the necessary buzzwords ("entrepreneurs," "family," religious freedom," etc.) -- and I finally just muted the alerts to stop cluttering up my e-mail. There are, of course, the requisite supporters of these bigots who seem to be impervious to rational arguments -- repeated assertion seems to be their preferred mode of discourse -- and since the discussion was going absolutely nowhere, I opted out.

There is, however, one thing I'd like to say to all of these people who claim that their "religious beliefs" are violated by having to treat gays and lesbians as human beings: "And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:40, KJV)

There, I've gotten that off my chest. On the upside, I managed to write a Review in Brief. Look for it Sunday.


No comments: