"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, September 06, 2014

We're Everywhere

Via Towleroad, this:


This was aired on DirecTV during last night's NFL season starter between the Packers and Seahawks. Aside from the fact that it's a cute commercial, I think it illustrates something that we're going to see more and more: gay men and lesbians* being treated as mainstream. The punchline, I think, gives it away: not only does it identify these two as a couple, but stresses that they're just like any other couple.

Cue the OneMillion(minus 999,999)Moms in 3. . . 2. . . . ("Save the Cheeeldrin!!!")

* Footnote: I'm not going the LGBT route because this is not an all-inclusive phenomenon. Trans folk have a way to go yet, and will undoubtedly soon enjoy the full brunt of the "Christian" right's attacks, now that said "Christians" have lost against gays. These are the kind of people who need an enemy to justify themselves, and people are as ignorant about trans people now as they were about gay men and lesbians twenty or thirty years ago. We've already seen the kind of misrepresentations and scare tactics the right will be using against them in the so-called "bathroom" fear-mongering.

As for bisexuals, they seem to get lost in the shuffle -- not, I think, because they're being ignored, but because they don't seem to form a cohesive and visible group. And if any of my readers are bi and feel I'm misstating the case, one bit of advice: if you feel you're being ignored, stand up and start yelling, just like everyone else has done.

No comments: