"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Somewhere Over the Rainbow. . . .

Add Kansas to the list:

marriage 2014

By a 7-2 vote, the Supreme Court has refused to grant a stay in Kansas' appeal of the district court decision finding the state's marriage ban unconstitutional.

14A503 Kansas Stay Denied by Equality Case Files



As others have noted, it's interesting, not that Scalia and Thomas would vote against lifting the stay -- that's a foregone conclusion -- but that they'd elect to publish their dissent. I mean, it's not like they're running for re-election. Alito voting to vacate surprised me a little, but I'm not counting on him in the long run.

And of course, Gov. Sam Brownback, who has already worked such wonders for Kansas (I understand the state is facing a $1.8 billion budget shortfall; time to close more schools), intends to keep on fighting the good fight.







No comments: