"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Today's Litany of Horrors

Digby has an eye-opening post on what's not getting attention in the continuing resolution that just passed the House. It's pretty awful. Her summation:

The progressive Democrats will now be free to make losing stand after losing stand --- which is a nice bit of theatre that excites people like me without having to disrupt business as usual --- while the Democratic centrists and the Republicans make "deals" for the benefit of their benefactors and trade off cuts to various benefits and regulations like they were baseball cards. If any consensus exists in the US Congress it's that we need to protect the most vulnerable among us: rich people.

I can see the next two years -- longer if Hillary Clinton takes the presidency in 2016: a long string of atrocities like this, with the president nodding and signing.

I'd rather have the government shut down. At least that way, Congress couldn't do any more harm.

No comments: