"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, January 19, 2015

Marriage News Watch, January 19, 2015

Florida has finally legalized driving while gay. Bills to discriminate against gay couples are rapidly multiplying in Texas. And multiple states are still wasting hundreds of thousands of dollars to try to reverse marriage equality.


"Driving while gay." I like that.

Here's more on that "don't do business with gays" law from Virginia -- introduced, of course, by Bob Marshall, one of the nuttiest of the wingnuts.

I've been predicting these sorts of responses for a while, and Baume is right: they're going to be annoying until they're overturned in court, and I think they ultimately will be -- unless the Roberts court decides to use the opportunity to gut the Civil Rights Act, which is not outside the realm of possibility. In that case -- what do you have to do to establish refugee status in Canada?

No comments: