"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Culture Break: New Order, "True Faith"

There's a story here, of a sort: this is a song that I have heard over the years every once in a while, inevitably over the sound system in some establishment where the staff have no idea what's playing. Well, I walked into a local resale shop recently and there it was, coming over the sound system. I asked. They checked. And so, Dear Reader, we bring you New Order's "True Faith."

And since I know nothing about the band (during the '80s I was listening to mostly classical music), this is what Wikipedia has to say -- or the beginning of what Wikipedia has to say:

New Order are an English rock band formed in 1980 and currently consisting of Bernard Sumner, Stephen Morris, Gillian Gilbert, Phil Cunningham and Tom Chapman. The band was formed in 1980 by Sumner (vocals, guitars, keyboards and synthesisers), Peter Hook (bass and vocals) and Morris (drums, electronic drums, keyboards and synthesisers) – the remaining members of Joy Division, following the suicide of vocalist Ian Curtis – with the addition of Gilbert (keyboards, synthesisers and guitars).

By combining post-punk and electronic dance music, New Order became one of the most critically acclaimed and influential bands of the 1980s.

And now, to the reason for this post:


2 comments:

Peter said...

One of my favorite bands. If you try some of their other stuff, especially good is their song "Regret." And Joy Division's "Love Will Tear Us Apart."

Hunter said...

Peter!!! Is it really you? How wonderful to hear from you after all this time.

I did find a copy of their "Best of" album at Reckless Records for next to nothing, so I've been listening to that, although this song is still The One. And I will probably start investigating Joy Division, given the connection.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope to hear more from you.