"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

After too many days of news reports about two gay New York developers/hoteliers, Ian Reisner and Mati Weiderpass, hosting a dinner party for Ted Cruz (which was definitively NOT a fundraiser), all I've got to say to the gay "activists" kicking up all the fuss is, "Is this all you've got to worry about right now?"

Sorry, boys and girls, but this is something rich people do: if someone important is coming to town, if you have the right connections, you throw a dinner party for them. If you're involved in politics, it's going to be a politician.

So by all means, give the likes of Erick Erickson more ammunition. That'll help the cause.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Some vocal gay activists have a long history of focusing on symbolism instead of substance. They've made too much of this case. And yet, hosting Ted Cruz is not insignificant. It's not that Cruz has merely political differences with LGBT people, he's energetically hostile to us. In the struggle for our rights, hosting Cruz is -- I don't believe this is hyperbole -- giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

Hunter said...

All things considered, I think it was a stupid move, which Reisner, at least, has admitted. I find it hard to believe that they were that unaware of Cruz' position on gay issues, but they wouldn't be the first.

I find myself reminding people that the focus of the evening was Israel and foreign policy. Gay rights was, I think, a footnote that got overblown. I wouldn't discount the possibility that it might have been an attempt to get Cruz to soften his stance, although it would have been a pretty unrealistic attempt.