"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, June 07, 2015

Compare and Contrast

(Be warned: for some reason, Blogger is not accepting my spacing this morning, so there are portions of this that are going to bee somewhat run-on.)

The subject today is real Christians.
First, we have this young woman:

One interesting aspect of this story is that neither Hailey nor her mother even mention their religious beliefs as a motivation for undertaking these projects: “It just doesn’t seem right,” [Hailey] told local KING 5 News, “because I think everyone should have a place to live.” And then there are those who wave their religion around like an AK-47: Joseph Farah, editor of WND, is always good for a laugh:
I know there are millions of Christians, Jews and others who would pull up stakes and move to another country that honored the institution of marriage as it was designed by God – a union between one man and one woman. As Jesus said it: 'For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh.' Is there one state in 50 that would not only defy the coming abomination, but secede in response?
That's been tried. It didn't end well -- for the secessionists, at least. Or Matt Barber:
Certainly, this novelty of so-called gay marriage is going to be one of the primary, I believe, drawbacks that end up potentially leading to the end of western civilization as we certainly know it now, at least.
Cue Ragnarok. (But have you noticed that all those "end of the world" scenarios in all the major mythologies -- at least, the non-Christian ones -- all end with a rebirth into something better?) And of course, Old Reliable, Tony Perkins:
in the last seven years, Americans have witnessed an almost perpetual parade of deviance, with the President grand marshalling them all! Now, the government's rainbow love fest is spilling over into the military, where each branch is racing to out-sexualize the other. Going where no branch has gone before, the Air Force will let high-ranking officials decide the fate of known transgenders in their ranks. Unfortunately, the President has certainly agreed with any LGBT sentiment that undermines marriage, free speech, public health, religious liberty, and now national security.
And that's just a quick sample from the past few days. I'd love to be in a position to ask some of these high-profile "Christians" how many homeless people they've sheltered or how many hungry people they've fed. And remind them about Matthew 25:35-40:
35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

No comments: