"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, June 29, 2015

Images of the Week: Chicago Pride, 2015

From Bernice:

This is how Chicago's police respond to Pride (unlike, say, Istanbul):


And for the bible-thumpers:


Did I hear someone say "Flamboyant"?:


I had actually intended to stop by the Parade for the first time in years. It was a beautiful sunny day, not too hot, and this year is pretty special. Thanks to the CTA, I spent most of the late morning and afternoon waiting for or sitting on a bus. The Parade pretty much turns traffic on the North Side east of Ashland into a total nightmare -- worse than a Cubs game; add in that Devon Avenue, which is where I catch two of my three available buses, was closed due to construction at the east end, and the CTA, in its infinite wisdom had neglected to post a notice at the bus stop informing (potential) riders where they could catch the bus. It gets better: Devon was supposed to be open to westbound traffic. It wasn't. So the bus I took home had to do an ad hoc reroute, because CTA hadn't informed the drivers that the road was closed. So those few remaining riders gathered at the front to advise the driver on the best route to take to her terminal.

Between traffic and reroutes, it took nearly two hours to get home; then, of course, it started raining just before I had to get off the bus -- just heavily enough to be a pain in the ass.

I did, however, see a lot of kids wearing rainbows and a lot of high spirits.

1 comment:

Bernice said...

The police on horseback picture had an amusing side note. Two Streets and Sanitation workers followed up by shoveling horse poop into a trash can on wheels. When they were finished they received loud applause to which they laughed and bowed to the crowd.