"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Mean, Petty, Vicious

That about sums up my feelings on these creeps:

A gay high school basketball player in Kentucky got an unsettling surprise when he received his senior yearbook: he was omitted from his team’s tribute page while every other player on the team, including underclassmen, was pictured.

Dalton Maldonado, who came out earlier this year, wrote on Facebook about the discovery and why he thinks homophobia is to blame:

“My school also didn’t approve [of me being gay]. I would hear things that teachers would say, and many media outlets would say I “claimed” this happened in spite of the pictures and text messages I had from my coaches as proof. Then I had a person [affiliated] with the school tell me what they had learned about the school attempting to cover up the whole stor[y]. I recently saw my senior yearbook, I flipped right to the sports basketball page only to find my senior basketball picture missing…which devastated me.”

According to the article, this is the culmination of a pattern of anti-gay harassment.

Would you want these people educating your children?

No comments: