"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Happy Yule

The solstice actually happened last night, at 11:48 pm eastern time, or this morning, at 4:48 am Greenwich time. Depending.

Courtesy of Mustang Bobby at Bark Bark Woof Woof, here's a graphic representation of the moment:

Winter Solstice 12-221-15
The moment of solstice.

What it means is that the days are going to start getting longer, even though the depths of winter are yet to come -- as of this writing, it is officially 37 degrees, with a forecast high of 45, in Chicago. On the 22nd of December. It's going to get worse. Much worse. It's actually a bit warmer here at my place -- the reporting station is at O'Hare, well inland, and I'm much closer to the moderating influence of the lake -- which is not going to be so moderate once the lake has lost a lot of its stored heat.

Oh, well -- I'll worry about it tomorrow.



No comments: