"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Today in Persecuted Minorities

I'm speaking of "Christians," of course. This story's been making the rounds, but here's tengrain's version from Mock, Paper, Scissors:

In an email sent to the the county human relations director Peggy Rowe on Thursday, [Commissioner Stacy] White said he received an anonymous complaint from a county employee that the presence of the flag was “nearly unbearable” for her to pass on her way to work and created a “hostile work environment.”

Oh? Was this anonymous Christian employee by any chance named, um, “Whacy Stite”? Just asking. Anyway, White continues and tips his hand (emphasis mine):

I wish to state for the record that, even if there is deemed to be zero liability from an HR perspective, it is still – in my view – unconscionable that the county administrator didn’t express to the board that this divisive symbol might create an uncomfortable workplace environment for many of his employees.

So, a symbol that symbolizes inclusion and equality (which, after all, are things this country purports to stand for) is now a "divisive symbol"?

I happen to agree with tengrain on the possible identity of this "anonymous" employee, and I have a couple of comments about the whole fracas:

What kind of "Christian" is offended by a commemoration of the victims of the worst mass murder in American history?

And, for the offended party: Grow up and get over yourself. Most of the rest of us figured out we were not the center of the universe by the time we were two.

No comments: