"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, July 09, 2016

Idiot du Jour: Another WTF? Moment

I realize that Texas is not all sagebrush and teabaggers, but you have to hand it to them: they've elected one of the wingnuttiest state governments in the country (and when you consider the competition, that's saying something).

And now, in the wake of the Dallas attack, Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick:

Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick called protesters who ran away from the hail of bullets that rained down on Downtown Dallas on Thursday night "hypocrites" during an interview Friday on Fox News.

"All those protesters last night, they turned around and ran the other way expecting the men and women in blue to protect them. What hypocrites!" an audibly emotional Patrick said.

Somehow, I doubt that the thought uppermost in the protesters' minds was "The police will protect me." I'm sure it was more on the order of "Get me outta here!"

As Gov. Greg Abbott issued on open letter calling on Texans to calmly unite and come together, Patrick took a more combative tone. He blamed Black Lives Matter protesters for the violence against police and said people "with big mouths are creating situations like we saw last night."

Sorry -- I should have warned you to turn your irony meter off. And it is, of course, BLM's fault, because reasons. Or something.

If you want a take on just how unhinged Dan Patrick is, there's this little tidbit:

AUSTIN – Today, as acting governor, I am directing that the Texas flag be immediately lowered to half-staff in honor of the lives and public service of our slain officers and victims of yesterday’s tragic and senseless event.

I ask that you keep the brave men and women in law enforcement in your thoughts and prayers.

Apparently, no one told Gov. Greg Abbott that he'd been replaced.

I think Dan Patrick deserves a Through the Looking Glass Award.

Via Crooks and Liars.






No comments: