"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, July 04, 2016

Today in WTF?

OK, now I've heard it all: the latest wingnut theory is that the Statue of Liberty was modeled after a man:

According to an upcoming Discovery Family channel program, French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi may have used his brother as a model for the Statue of Liberty instead of his mother as most historians believe.

“Going through photos he had in his files of his brother, I started to look at the face more carefully, and it really did look to be like Liberty," author Elizabeth Mitchell told the New York Post.

As a point of reference:


The face is so stylized that it could be anyone -- quite deliberately so, I'm sure.

And now that I think about it, why am I wasting space on this? I mean, who cares who the model was?



No comments: