"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Today's Must-Read

An exhaustive article for the Hillary-haters out there. It's a Facebook post by a man named Michael Arnovitz, reprinted here at Daily Kos. It begins thusly:

"In the course of a single conversation, I have been assured that Hillary is cunning and manipulative but also crass, clueless, and stunningly impolitic; that she is a hopelessly woolly-headed do-gooder and, at heart, a hardball litigator; that she is a base opportunist and a zealot convinced that God is on her side. What emerges is a cultural inventory of villainy rather than a plausible depiction of an actual person." —Henry Louis Gates The quote above comes from a fascinating article called “Hating Hillary”, written by Gates for the New Yorker in 1996. Even now, 20 years after it was first published, it’s a fascinating and impressive piece, and if you have a few spare moments I strongly recommend it to you. (www.newyorker.com/...)

And I’m reading pieces like this because now that Hillary has (essentially if not officially) won the Democratic Primary, I have become increasingly fascinated by the way so many people react to her. In truth, I sometimes think that I find that as interesting as Hillary herself. And I can’t help but notice that many of the reactions she receives seem to reflect what Gates referred to as “a cultural inventory of villainy” rather than any realistic assessment of who she really is and what she has really done.

It's worth taking time with. I confess to having mixed feelings about Hillary Clinton: as I responded to one Hillary-hater in a comment thread, "She's what we've got, so we need to make the best of it." This article makes me feel better about it.

Footnote: This is breaking:

Hillary Clinton will likely not be charged with any criminal wrongdoing after the FBI completes their investigation into her private email server, CNN reports. The former Secretary of State sat down with FBI investigators Saturday morning for three and a half hours, in what is broadly considered tho be the final stages of the investigation.

A Senior Producer at the CNN, Edward Mejia Davis, posted the news that Clinton is not expected to be charged to Twitter, citing unnamed sources who spoke with CNN's Evan Perez:

Edward Mejia Davis
‏@TeddyDavisCNN

Sources tell CNN's Evan Perez: expectation is that there will be announcement of no charges in Clinton email probe w/in next two weeks or so


2:02 PM - 2 Jul 2016
882 retweets 680 likes

The usual suspects are beside themselves.

No comments: