"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, August 01, 2016

Point, Counter-point: Khan vs. Trump, Round Three

I was thinking of doing a post on what has turned out to be a huge blow-up after Khizr Khan's speech at the DNC and The Hairpiece's response, but there is just too much, so I'm giving you what's pretty much a link dump.

The Khans are not backing down. Here's a short video of Khizr Khan (which I'm not able to embed), responding to this:

"If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say," Trump said, adding that "maybe she wasn't allowed to have anything to say."

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama [Did you doubt it?]) has decided to get into the act:

Senator Jeff Sessions was the chosen voice to appear on CNN's State of the Union for some damage control after Donald Trump hammered Gold Star parents Khzir and Ghazala Khan twice yesterday.

When asked about Khizr Khan's condemnation of Trump as a "man with a black heart," Sessions emphatically said, "I reject that and I'm disappointed that he said that."

Sessions then went on to justify Trump's hateful attitude with more spin about how Trump "praised" Khan. Actually, he didn't praise him at all. This is what Trump said, and what Khan reacted to.
(Click through for the quotes.)

Brian Stelter at CNN actually committed journalism on TV. Video and transcript at the link, and watch Trump's spokesman dodges and weaves and keeps trying to change the subject. (Which itself is a favorite ploy of the right.)

And just in case you missed the dog whistle that Miller was blowing on, long-time Trump buddy Roger Stone makes it plain:

Screen capture of Roger Stone tweet July 7, 2016.

And it really looks like Trump has finally done it: he's getting shit from major Republicans, including John McCain, Mitch McConnell, and even Wunderkind Paul Ryan.

You can imagine what the left is saying.

That's enough on this for now. All I can say is that I hope this story follows Trump around for the rest of his campaign.





No comments: