"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, December 08, 2016

Today in Trump's America

Ilhan Omar; image via Twitter
It's getting to the point where it's not safe to get in a cab any more -- unless you're white and male:

The nation’s first elected Somali-American lawmaker Wednesday said she was the target of the “most hateful, derogatory, islamophobic, sexist taunts and threats” she’s ever experienced when a cab driver transporting her from the White House to her hotel called her ISIS and threatened to remove her hijab.

Here's her Facebook post:

Ilhan Omar
17 hours ago

I spent yesterday afternoon at the White House, learning about policy ideas states could implement in the areas I am passionate about. On my way to our hotel, I got in a cab and became subjected to the most hateful, derogatory, islamophobic, sexist taunts and threats I have ever experienced. The cab driver called me ISIS and threatened to remove my hijab, I wasn't really sure how this encounter would end as I attempted to rush out of his cab and retrieve my belongs. I am still shaken by this incident and can't wrap my head around how bold being are becoming in displaying their hate towards Muslims. I pray for his humanity and for all those who harbor hate in their hearts.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this -- maybe because in my neighborhood so many of the taxi drivers are Somali or Ethiopian.

And what do you suppose it's going to be like not so many years in the future when Syrians and Iraquis start running for office?

No comments: