"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, February 09, 2018

Another Day, Another Shut-Down

It occurs to me that the only difference between the government being shut down and the government being open for business is that, in the case of the latter, national parks (what's left of them) are open and government employees get paid.

Here's some background from WaPo on the whole mess that is getting a spending bill passed. Note especially Rand Paul, who blocked the measure once in the Senate because of increases in federal spending ("The deficit is coming! The deficit is coming!"), although he was more than happy to vote for the tax bill that gave billions to the richest entities in the country while increasing the deficit by $1.5 trillion.

Like I said, the only difference. . . .

No comments: